Translate

Friday, September 3, 2010

God, My Refuge (Psalms 140-142 / I Corinthians 14)

Psalms 140 teaches us that there are evil men all around us, but that God is able to protect those that belong to Him (2 Timothy 1:12, John 10:29). In Psalms 141:5, David actually asks for reproof (2 Timothy 3:16) from wise men. This is one reason we know that David had a heart for God (I Samuel 13:14). In Psalms 142:4, David finds himself in a cave with no one to care for him. But read verses 5-7. As bad as the situation is, David knows that God cares so David cries out to his "Refuge" (v. 5) for help. Do you view God as a refuge, the One who is able to shield you from the enemy? "But I know whom I have believed, And am persuaded that He is able / To keep that which I've committed Unto Him against that day" (2008 Baptist Hymnal, p. 353).

In I Corinthians 14, Paul keeps the focus on church unity by again focusing on love. Paul is basically saying that preaching edifies the believer because the listener understands what is being said in his native language (14:6, 10-12). However, to hear one speak in tongues without an interpretation is not doing anyone any good and may even possibly be promoting division (14:14-20). Do you find yourself doing anything in the church setting that might be creating division?

No comments:

Post a Comment